Registering a birth name and changing your name can be a tedious task. Especially without any guidance or help, it can become a messy affair. Whether it’s registering your child’s birth or changing a name because of personal reasons, one needs to be aware of the legal procedure to be able to do it right. Check out how you can do both within the legal framework.

#1 Registering Your Child’s Birth

Congratulations! You have an adorable baby in your life. The parents of the child (mothers and/or fathers) can register the birth of their baby. They can be married, unmarried (In this case, both parents), or in a civil relationship.

In the case of fertility treatment, the mother or the other female parent can also be a part of this process.

For the children of unmarried parents or someone who isn’t in a civil partnership, they could have their father’s name recorded in the registry if both parents are present to sign when paternity is declared.

For female couples who are not in civil partnerships, the name of the second female parent of the child will be recorded, provided there is written consent from both parents or if they underwent treatment together in one of the UK’s clinics that is licensed.

Unmarried couples or couples who are not in an opposite-sex civil partnership need not worry. In this case, the father’s name will be recorded in the registry when both parents are there to sign the document. Another alternative is that the paternity of the father is declared and produced by him.

If you were in the same gender relationship with another female but aren’t anymore, then being the mother, you will have to register the birth of your child. After fulfilling the conditions for parenthood, your partner too can register her name.

#2 Change Of Name Under 18 Years Of Age

If you are under 18 years of age and you’ve been worried about how to change your name – it’s easy, as long as you follow the procedure. You will need your application form to be signed by a qualified applicant – who is either your parent or guardian. The following are the conditions under which individuals are deemed as qualified applicants:

When the parents are unmarried or in a civil partnership, the father or second female parent (in case of a same sex relationship) still has the responsibility of the child as a parent.
When the father or second female parent doesn’t have parental responsibility, the mother of the child is a qualified applicant.

If either of the child’s parents is deceased, then the surviving parent bears the responsibility of the child.

If the child has a guardian who has parental responsibility, then he/she is also qualified to be an applicant.

Some Important Points To Remember

  1. Your document should be signed by the above-qualified applicants in the presence of either a practicing solicitor, a lay magistrate, or a justice.
  2. It is possible to change your name only once for an individual who is under the age of 18 years of age.
  3. In the case of two qualified applicants, the above-mentioned authorities will record and witness the signatures of both the parties.
  4. For a child who is under 18 years old, the fee is 35 pounds (subject to change); in case another member of your family applies at the same time, then it is 16 pounds for the second person.


As you have seen, the process of changing your name can be smooth and easy. As long as you are sure you want to go through with it and follow due process.